Any system must have its basic reference, because without, it says nothing. The metric system was based on the standard meter etc., that is kept in Paris. I guess that the English system has its standard somewhere, but do not remember, London is my best guess. Now the standards are referenced to physical spectral wavelength, since it give a better accuracy and is necessary for todays finer sizes. The physical base standards had the deficit to be varying with temperature etc. and are only museum pieces today.

It does not really matter which system that is used, as long as the bases and conversions are defined properly. The two systems that are widely used are the British and the French and as usual they are competing, a game were the French looks at the winner and with a clear majority of followers. Systems are necessary communication tools, but if you do a one time task and do not have a meter, you can decide on your own base. It is not much to argue about, other than maybe the mathematical benefits of the base choice for fractions of the base. The meter could easily be divided in fractions of 12, if you find it useful for some reason. A physical meter is about the same size as the base yard stick and can be divided in any base number of pieces that you prefer.

Hakan