Hello Keith and thank you for your input. I agree with you, blending an oil
with a high IV with one with a lower, should produce an average IV. But in
some course literature I read some time ago, it said that "oil spill from
rape seed oil will leave you two months to wipe it up before it polymerizes,
soy bean oil will leave you two weeks, and linseed oil two days. " From this
way of reasoning one can conclude, when comparing the average IV values of
each oil, that blending rape seed oil with llinseed oil to an average IV
value of soybean oil, will produce an oil with similar polymerization
properties as soybean oil.
And further- if producing of biodiesel out of high IV oils, will lower the
fatty acids« ability to polymerize one can conclude that the first step of
polmerization takes place within the triglyceride molecule, possibly with
bridges of oxygen between the double bonds of different fatty acids. In
methyl ester the fatty acids with the right will to polymerize have some
difficulties finding each other and build bridges.
Give me some input on this way of explanation ,Keith !
Best regards
Jan

Jan Warnqvist
AGERATEC AB