As a newcomer to the biodiesel world I was wondering if it was possible to
make methanol in your "backyard" so to speak?

No. We've been discussing this since the list was founded five years ago, but nobody's found a solution yet. Dr Tom Reed, who probably knows more about methanol than most, told me we just aren't there yet. Walt Patrick of Windward posted some interesting information some time ago and said his organisation would be working on it, but we've heard nothing since. You can check it in the archives if you like.

And the other question is it
possible to make biodiesel with ethanol?

Not for novices:

Ethyl esters -- making ethanol biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#ethylester

I am putting together a proposal
for an East African country to follow Brazils lead and have to do some
homework first.

There have been enquiries and initiatives from quite a few African countries concerning ethyl esters, but we've never heard anything further. I'd investigate it thoroughly first before recommending anything if I were you.

Best wshes

Keith

selam,
tom mountain