Sorry. I stand corrected. When I looked in the index under methanol, it pointed me to pg 125 and indeed, it began talking about methanol. But the last few sentences led you into a "Step-by-Step Procedure" for making ethanol from wood.

I went straight to the procedure before thoroughly reading the introduction. That would only make sense since I don't read the instructions before putting together my nephews' new toys on their birthdays either.

Oh how sad Mike! That it wasn't methanol I mean, not that you don't read the destructions and are depriving your nephews of a practical education by selfishly playing with their toys. :-)

That old "Fuel from Sawdust" piece came from an early 1980s issue of Acres USA that I happen to have because I wrote the cover story. I had a whole lot more of them too but some nice friend went and lost them all. :-( My fault, I suppose, for being such a rolling stone. Anyway, Mike Brown's article was one of a long series they ran on Farm Alcohol. They'd probably make interesting reading now.

Regards

Keith

:-)

Mike

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi Tom and Kieth,
>
>I have a copy of Brown's Second Alcohol Fuel Cookbook
>by Michael H. Brown. In it, there is a section on
>methanol production (pg 125). It lists the ingredients
>and equipment and continues with a section called
>"Step-by-Step Procedures". The procedure goes into a
>lot of detail and describes what your reaction will
>look like, how much heat to expect from the exothermic
>reaction and how it should behave -- beginning with
>the introduction of sulfuric acid, to pH balancing and
>finally to fermentation. It even suggests how to
>collect and make use of the lignin, a byproduct of the
>acid/sawdust reaction. Apparently it burns and can be
>used as a fuel for your still.
>
>I can't remember where I bought the book. But, if it's
>out of print or otherwise unavailable, I can
>transcribe the section if anyone is interested.
>
>Mike

Hi Mike

Are you sure that's methanol, and not his ethanol from sawdust
method? It sounds just the same, and that's here:

Fuel From Sawdust
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#sawdust

Best

Keith