Helo  Mike  , Dean Thomas  and Steve

    The  process  of making   or activating carbon   can be  simple
chemical treatments  to remove the inorganic metal  using acids ,
steam  oxidation of organic  materials  or  ethanol  solvent removal
of  oganic materials.
  By using appropriate   filter media and support  the  Lye  formation
can  eliminated and hence no need to bother as  Steve thinking , as
solvent  can form lye surely.

   Steve ,  the poor   really drink lye, water with impurities in
several part of the rural areas of the world    and what we want to
do is to filter the lye  using  activated carbon

   I am not able to find the results about  ethanol solvent activation
as this is novel  and new process.
   Here  Keith can  come out  with the  recent work in this fields
from the   data banks , even though I have tried  to do so with out
success.
 For rural area  this  simple process is more favourable l than
industrial  conventional methods  .

sd
Pannirselvam
Brasil

On 5/6/05, Michael Redler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A while back, we had a discussion on simple cook stoves.
> http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/46479/1
>
> I was wondering if some of the charcoal collected from the stove could be
> used as a water purifier. I quickly checked the archives to see if it was
> already discussed and didn't find anything.
>
> Mike

> Biofuel archives at Infoarchive.net (searchable):

  Pagandai V Pannirselvam
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte - UFRN
Departamento de Engenharia Qu’mica - DEQ
Centro de Tecnologia - CT
Programa de P—s Gradua¨‹o em Engenharia Qu’mica - PPGEQ
Grupo de Pesquisa em Engenharia de Custos - GPEC

Av. Senador Salgado Filho, Campus Universit‡rio
CEP 59.072-970 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Residence :
Av  Odilon gome de lima, 2951,
   Q6/Bl.G/Apt 102