VW TDIs 90 and 110 can be adjusted and are electonic. Inj pump is
Bosch sorry don't know the model #.

They started making TDIs around 93 or 94 I think initially in Audi
A4s. My 95 Passat has no accelerator cable (diesels don't have a
throttle either) just a potentiometer under the pedal. electronics
manage everything except the basic injection timing. I don't know if
there is any advance/retard adjustment within the pump to alter
timimg according to engine speed.

The Bocsh inj pump is visually much like any other with ditributor
pipes out to each injector. However it has no mechanical linkage just
a black box on the side. Computer is elswhere away from heat and
damp. Bosch supply most motor makers so the same basic injection
system probably appears all over the place.

The new VW PD (can't spell Pump Deuce) has everything incorporated
into each injector and is fully electronically controlled. Common
rail systems also do all the injection timing electronically. These
only came in within that last couple of years or so.

TDI injectors cost loads. Goodness knows what the bill for new PD
unit or common rail injector will look like.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >it's not ignition timing (diesel's don't have "ignition"), it's
injector
> >timing, and most diesels are mechanical injection, although I have
not
> >worked on any post 1990 diesels, which may be electronic.
>
> Hi Steve
>
> Of course yes - sorry, slip of the, er, mind... It was a post-90
job
> the guy was talking about.
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith Addison
>

> >Steve Spence
> >Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
> >http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm
> >
> >Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.com
> >Palm Pilot Pages - http://www.webconx.com/palm
> >X10 Home Automation - http://www.webconx.com/x10
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(212) 894-3704 x3154 - voicemail/fax
> >We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
> >we borrow it from our children.
> >--

using
> > > this technology. This package included use of an oxidation
catalyst
> > > to maximize Particulate Matter (PM) reductions (taking
advantage of
> > > the high soluble organic fraction of biodiesel) and a timing
change
> > > to give up some PM reductions while reducing NOx to baseline or
even
> > > past baseline -- the best case was a 28% NOx reduction with a
25% PM
> > > reduction."
> > >
> > > One point though - someone asked how you go about retarding the
> > > ignition timing on a new-model diesel where everything's
computer
> > > controlled. I don't know from computer controls (25-year-old
Land
> > > Rovers), didn't know how to answer. Any ideas?

> > > I think so.
> > >
> > > That's nice information below Marc, thanks.
> > >
> > > Best
> > >
> > > Keith Addison

NOx back to

NOx