Hey, there's the answer :) Use additives instead of cats.
Oh no, solve one problem, create another.

When catalysts were due to come into UK a car magazine took a pair of
new Austin/Rover Metros around a town in UK (Cambridge I think) with
gas analysers attached.

When cold the catalyst was worse, better when warm but not alarmingly
so. Over the journey the emissions were almost the same. The catalyst
also used 10% more fuel.

OK technologies have improved, but it showed that cats are not
anything like as good as they are cracked up to be.

At least diesels (to date) only use simple oxydising cats and don't
need the 10% extra fuel demanded by the three way cat & oxygen sensor
as used on spark ign cars.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
rare
> >noble metals have to be used to solve the problem.
>
> Yea indeed. Furthermore...
>
> http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=9772
> Planet Ark
> Catalytic convertors contribute to pollution-magazine
>
> UK: February 9, 2001
>
> LONDON - Instead of helping to clean up the environment, catalytic
> converters used on car exhausts are adding to pollution, a science
> magazine said on Wednesday.
>
> Researchers have found metal from converters in remote areas of
> Greenland proving, they say, that it is a global problem.
>
> [more]
>
> Bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Or do I mean paying Peter to
rob
> Paul?... Damn, it's late...
>
> G'nite
>
> Keith
>
> >On TDIs, the injection pump is mounted on slotted holes like a
petrol
> >distributor, this allows it to be moved a little about it's drive
> >shaft.
> >
> >On PD and common rail setups the pump is just a pressuriser, I
guess
> >the pickup used by the electronics to detect crank position is
fixed,
> >but it just might be on slotted holes.
> >
> >I wonder if the PD/common rail electronics are clever enough to
> >adjust the injection advance according to peak cylinder pressures.
> >I'll bet they already adjust it according to speed.
>
> Thanks Dave.
>
> >Dave
> >
> >--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi Marc, David and all

> >less
> > >
> > > Yes - so who needs additives? Though I noticed that NOPEC also
uses
> > > an additive for low-NOx. There are some interesting findings
here:
> > > http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_nox.html
> > >
> > > Including this one: "I have certified emissions for the urban
bus
> > > retrofit program with EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency)
> >using
> > > this technology. This package included use of an oxidation
catalyst
> > > to maximize Particulate Matter (PM) reductions (taking
advantage of
> > > the high soluble organic fraction of biodiesel) and a timing
change
> > > to give up some PM reductions while reducing NOx to baseline or
> >even
> > > past baseline -- the best case was a 28% NOx reduction with a
25%
> >PM
> > > reduction."
> > >
> > > One point though - someone asked how you go about retarding the
> > > ignition timing on a new-model diesel where everything's
computer
> > > controlled. I don't know from computer controls (25-year-old
Land
> > > Rovers), didn't know how to answer. Any ideas?
>
> <snip>

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm