Tom's reply is very interesting.  I have been looking at the Babington stuff
too, and now realise that it would ideal for co-firing glyc. with bottled
propane.  The propane gas could be fed directly into the ball instead of
compressed air, inter-alia saving the need for a compressor.  I've not had a
chance to try this, but suspect that some air would be needed as well to get
the right balance of atomisation and heating value.  So long as the gas
pressure remains above the air pressure, it should be simple enough to meter
gas into the air line.  I intended to apply for a research grant on glyc.
burning, and this new idea might be just the thing to hang the application
on.  What is the patent position?

Going back to the Mother Earth drip-feed design, I hope to dilute the heated
glyc with about 5% water, in the expectation that flash boiling of water in
the droplets on contact with the hot plate will burst them into a finely
atomised mist.

David T.

Tom wrote:
"I've been doing several postings on that other web site on this topic, so
here is my input on this topic. The Babington burner works great for raw
oil,
ugly biodiesel, or other fluids, but it will not burn glycerol in
concentrations greater than about 20 or 25%. It seems that this stuff is
water based and just doesn't have all of the energy needed to sustain a
flame. I had considerable success last winter in burning it on a wood fire,
but by itself it would only burn the volatile part and then leave a
substantial vegetable gum residue that did not burn.

My current plan is to build a masonry burner that maintains the 1000 degree
temperature needed for complete combusion. The Babington will keep up the
temperature using raw oil and the glycerine will be dribbled into a pan
where
it should burn cleanly, leaving a mild residue ash.  All of this is theory,
but I have hope this system will work after 2 years of efforts.

Tom Leue @ Homestead Inc."

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.