Dear Rajendra
I found it interesting that you mention on esterification that the chain length
is broken from C18 or more down to a chain length of C11 - C13.
Can such a difference be due to the variety of oil that is selected? The reason
I ask is that I have been making BD from cold pressed virgin Canola oil, and I
had a GC fatty acid analysis performed on my BD and the results were;
C16:0 -C18:0-C18:1-C18:2-C18:3-C20:0-C20:1-C22:0
   3.9  -  4.83 - 80.54- 9.29- 0.00  -0.37  - 0.00  - 1.07
The GC fatty acid composition dosn't show chain lengths as short as what you
mention, but 98.56% of chain lengths are C18:2 or shorter.
I would appreciate your comments.
Regards
Steven

Rajendra Sharma wrote:

> Kavitha
> obviously your professor is not fully informed.
> Virgin oil and for that matter the waste oil has long carbon chains- 18 or
> so but on esterification these chains are broken down to 11 - 13, very
> similar to that in diesel. Due to about 11% oxygenates avialble in
> biodiesel( which is defined as mono ethyl or methyl ester ).
> we are doing work on prodcution of biodiesel from non-food plant seeds, have
> tested it in engines and confirmed the emissoin advantages of biodiesel.
> now I am working on preparing a Indian standard for biodiesel.
> if you are near bombay you can talk to me for more details. I am in nasik at
> mahindra & mahindra ltd
> cc:Samai Jaiin - can you send me tha national standard for biodiesel  and
> also copy of your paper mentioned below
> rgds
>
> >From: Samai Jaiin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] Help!
> >Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:46:25 +0100 (BST)

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/9bTolB/TM