Hello Everyone,

I have been laying dormant, just reading all the information everyone has
put out. This latest reading has gotten me to the point that I would request
the following information. Given that there is no infrastructure for
hydrogen storage or distribution. Has anyone given any thought to onboard
hydrogen generation. Some researchers at DOE National Energy Technology Labs
and Argonne National Lab have patented a "Method of generating hydrogen by
catalytic decomposition of water" i.e. without electrolysis. (
http://www.netl.doe.gov/newsroom/ briefs/rb-0012.html )

U.S. Patent # 6,468,499

Of course this may diminish the thought of using biofuels to power fuel
cell. But theorize, what would be the efficiency rating of onboard hydrogen
generation through a design of this type.

I may still be an optimist but I thoroughly believe that one day, solar,
wind, biofuel, and other renewable sources will replace the fossil fuels of
today. The question is how much governmental red tape will we have to
endure.

>From: "Darryl McMahon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] Re: MIT study skeptical about fuel cell
>vehicles
>Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:03:30 -0500
>
>"groundhogsteve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snip>
> > My overall view is that there is no one "energy solution".  It is a
> > series of small incremental solutions that cover specific
> > situations.
>
>Agreed.
>
> > I see fuel cells using hydrolysis from renewables as one part.
>
>For some reality on fuel cell potential in transport sector, see:
>http://www.econogics.com/ev/fcevreal.htm
>
> > I see conservation as a big part still
>
>Absolutely.
><snip>
>
> > The first "beta" version of fuel cell cars are in the customer's
> > hands in California and Japan.  The first 30 busses are being
> > demonstrated in Europe.  All the fuel cell companies are being really
> > secretive about where they are on platinum loading reduction and the
> > overall cost curve.  Ballard is actually out selling real fuel cells,
>not
> > demonstration ones.  So I think they will be coming into the mainstream
> > within 5 years.
>
>Don't hold your breath.  Government-funded buses and automakers PR cars do
>not
>constitute a solution.
>
>Darryl McMahon

Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/9bTolB/TM