http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ca/story/6751291p-7702317c.html
The Sacramento Be

Lawmakers could lose SUV rides

Some members are trying to get Senate, Assembly to drive vehicles
that burn less fuel.

By Ed Fletcher -- Bee Capitol Bureau
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Thursday, May 29, 2003
With an eye toward ending the Legislature's gas-guzzling ways, Senate
President Pro Tem John Burton is moving to bar lawmakers from
choosing SUVs for their state vehicles.

The San Francisco Democrat said that stopping lawmakers from driving
sport-utility vehicles would be good for the environment and could
save the state some money on fuel costs.

"What I would hope to do in the Senate (is) basically, you know,
phase them out," Burton said Wednesday.

The issue was to be discussed Wednesday before the Senate Rules
Committee, but with one key Democrat absent, Burton chose not to
bring up the matter.

Burton said he wasn't inclined to snatch away SUVs from members who
already have them and would reconsider the matter if "they come up
with a hybrid SUV or something that isn't a gas guzzler and a gas
waster."

Burton's rule -- which he said is a work in progress -- would apply
only to vehicles used by state senators.

A separate effort in the Assembly would push lawmakers into
fuel-efficient or alternative-fuel vehicles.

Most state lawmakers lease a vehicle at state expense to be used in
their districts.

Through rules adopted by Senate and Assembly rules committees, the
state caps its contribution toward each vehicle lease at $350 per
month, so taxpayers generally pay no more for a $50,000 vehicle than
they do for a $35,000 vehicle. Lawmakers make up the difference for
the more expensive vehicles.

As of December when the new Legislature took office, 95 of 120 state
lawmakers had requested vehicles, according to legislative records.
More than half of those -- 48 -- opted for SUVs.

Sen. Rico Oller, R-San Andreas, said he doesn't see the point of Burton's move.

"It just seems to me to be kind of silly," said Oller, who drives a
Lincoln LS, which is not an SUV. He said members who live in rural
districts often deal with snow and other inclement weather. It makes
less sense for members from urban districts to drive an SUV, he said.

"It is not a well-thought-out idea," added Sen. Dick Ackerman,
R-Fullerton, who drives a state-paid Ford Explorer. "You are not
going to balance the state budget on having everyone not buy SUVs and
save a few dollars on gasoline."

SUVs are being unfairly targeted by environmentalists and getting a
bad reputation for no good reason, said Ron DeFore, a spokesman for
the SUV Owners Association.

He said SUVs are safer than smaller passenger cars and less fuel
efficient for a reason -- they are built to do more work.

DeFore said he does see the logic in choosing the appropriate vehicle
for the job.

"If the vehicle is going to be used by a single person from
government building A to government building B, then I say go for the
hybrid. That is just prudent fiscal management," he said.

In December, the Assembly adopted rules giving its members who select
a super-fuel-efficient or alternative-fuel vehicle an extra $10,000
for their office budget.

"That is to at least nudge people in the direction of buying
alternative-fuel vehicles, instead of large SUVs," said Assembly
Rules Committee Chairman Joe Nation, D-San Rafael. "People will still
have the ability to purchase whatever they want to, but we're hopeful
the incentive will move people in that direction."

Nation also has plans to allow members to swap their gas guzzler for
a fuel-efficient vehicle this fall. Nation's plans call for
eventually replacing the state's fleet cars with hybrids and other
alternative-fuel vehicles.

"If we are going to continue to push the envelope on fuel efficiency
and air quality (legislatively)," said Nation, "I think we ought to
walk the walk."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM