Keith Addison wrote:

Both are carbohydrates.

Cellulose is a carbohydrate too, but separating it from its lignin binder is not an easy task. Acid hydrolysis is the most common method at this point, but I have papers buried in my files concerning an ammonia / pressure process that broke lignin bonds, cellulose and hemicellulose so that the resulting, simpler sugars could be worked on by bacteria to produce hydrogen gas. I researched this process as a potential method of hydrogen production while I was more enthusiastic about hydrogen as an energy carrier than is characteristic of my belief today.

In essence, the ammonia process involved a pressure tank loaded with cellulose rich material (straw, for instance) that was filled with ammonia and allowed to heat up until the pressure reached a certain point (the value escapes me, sorry!) for about fifteen minutes. Ammonia apparently penetrates lignin and plant sugars under pressure, and when the pressure is suddenly released (by opening a ball valve) the ammonia flashes from a liquid to a gas, and in doing so, bursts the lignin and cellulose bonds. This is a procedure that could utilize solar heat energy and might have been cheaper than acid hydrolysis under the right circumstances. However, aside from the two papers I read on the subject some years ago, I've never heard of it again.

Robert, are bacteria creatures or plants? "Microflora" they say. (Not that plants aren't creatures.)

The division may be arbitrary, but prokaryote cells do not contain membrane bound organelles, such as a nucleus, golgi apparatus and mitochondria. They are generally considered an older form of life than eukaryotic cells that evolutionary biologists believe evolved from them. Eukaryotic cells also differ in that they contain 80 S cytoplasmic ribosomes, organelles responsible for protein synthesis. A prokayotic cell will not have a nucleus, so its DNA remains exposed within the cell. Some species, anoxygenic photosynthetic bacteria, can grow as photoheterotrophs, photoautotrophs or chemoheterotrophs depending on the environment that surrounds them. They are very amazing creatures!

 Amazing, yes. Not much is known about
them. Most of the microbugs working away in a good compost pile (maybe 25,000 different types) haven't been identified yet, let alone their capabilities. IMO there's more and better to be gained via such research than nonsense like Big M's pesticide-resistant soybeans, eg.

        If I were in charge, things would be different. . .

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>