From: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Michael Redler
To: <mailto:Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 14:22
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] New York : DA Drops The Charges Against Carol Lang

Robert,

This IMHO, this is another simplification.

Aside from refusing to obey an illegal order, can you think of any exceptions?

What's illegal?

Mike

robert luis rabello <<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Michael Redler wrote:

> Robert,
>
> "...he or she becomes the property of the military and the
> commanders will do with every soldier whatever they deem necessary. "
> Point taken. But I think it's a bit oversimplified.

Is it really? Can an army function without discipline? When the
lieutenant says: "We have orders to secure that hilltop and neutralize
enemy resistance," does an enlisted soldier have the right to disagree?

My wife has a young cousin who joined the Marines a few years ago.
Much to his dismay, and his family's distress, the Marine Corps sent
him to Fallujah. He tells us that he didn't want to go there. He
speaks of the situation being horrible and of his life being in
constant danger. But he couldn't say: "No thanks. I'd rather serve
in Guam."

> Do you mean to say that you (as property of the US armed services) would
> do "WHATEVER" your superior deemed necessary? That's quite a broad
> statement.

Aside from refusing to obey an illegal order, can you think of any
exceptions?

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind