sorry terry, but no.  you are not addressing my observations in good faith.

<<As you imply,there are those who would make it in or out.>>

this is your one comment which is relatively faithful to my meaning.  only,
it seeks to downplay the fact that *most* who enlist make it through the
military, hopefully none the worse for wear and usncarred by war.  and i was
not
implying that they would make it in civilian society.  i said:

<<the fact that these individuals enlist is a pretty good indication that,
were they to remain in civilian life, they would *not* be. . .engaged [in
"selling drugs,robbing and stealing" in my neighborhood]>>

does *not* "selling drugs [etc.]" constitute 'making it'?  not necessarily.
they could still be arrested for driving/walking while black; beaten and
sodomized by the arresting officers; condemned by a justice system which is at
best
indifferent, and at worst genocidally racist, to an unduly harsh mandatory
minimum sentence--a truly horrible fate when you consider that they might be
beaten or sodomized or killed by their fellow inmates; or the fact, almost
ignored by our 'liberal media', that abu ghreib-style 'abuse' of prison inmates
has
become widespread in american jails; or the fact that now they will not only
have to survive in our society as a poor minority, but as a poor minority
ex-con; and above all, in light of all this, when you consider the fact that,
if
you're hispanic or, especially, black, the odds are far greater than for any
other group that you didn't actually commit the crime.

of cousrse, they might not make it that far, because a trigger-happy
policeman might just decide to shoot them on the spot.  or they could be killed
by a
stray gangbanger's bullet, or in a drive-by because the gangbangers mistook
them for someone else.  or, they could somehow weave their way through this
minefield, and live in poverty; as most african-americans and many, if not
most,
hispanics/hispanic-americans still do.

there are a fair number of poor whites who also enlist.  while the deck is
not so severely stacked against them socio-economically, crime and drugs and
gangs do exist in poor white areas, and the fact remains that most poor whites
are born into poverty, and will never rise out of poverty.

which, again, is why so many enlist. but what if we offered them an
alternative?  what if we told them "you can join the army/navy/air
force/marines and
earn so much per month for so many years, as well as college tuition, and
perhaps also learn a trade or acquire job skills which will be meaningful in
civilian life; as well as, of course, risk being killed or maimed, and/or
psychologically scarred for the rest of your life. . .OR. . .you could earn the
two
thirds as much salary and tuition credits, with the same potential for learning
opportunities, in a heirarchical organization structured similarly to the
military, all while staying in or near your home area as part of an economical
development project."  sort of a modern day wpa; an anti-poverty brigade, if
you
like.

how many potential enlistees would choose the second alternative?  what if we
offered only three-quarters as much financial compensation?  how many then?
or 100% as much?

-chris