Hello Doug.
Keith has made an excellent input to you questions but I felt it necessary
to add some aspects of your problem:
The rule no1 when taking samples is to make sure - as possible- that the
sample is representative for the batch. This sounds simple, but if you are
dealing with high water content together with high FFA levels you will have
different titration values if sampled from the top or from the bottom. If
there are detergents in the oil, this actually may help. It is a
disadvantage when washing the biodiesel though.
By using IPA for titration, the general idea is to have one clear phase
consisting from IPA, water, KOH (or NaOH) and oil. The EN standard for
determination of acid number which is likewise determined by titration
strongly recommends that the amount of IPA should be increased if the
solution becomes cloudy or turbid.
By using methanol for titration, you are out of standard procedure.
And - possibly annoying Keith - the EN requirement for a good titration is
that the solution stays magenta for at least 15 seconds.
Good luck to you further on !
With best regards
Jan Warnqvist
AGERATEC AB