Hi Todd

>Dogonnit Keith,

Sorry about that.

>If the guy is going to behave in such a fashion, those who have to
>suffer it should at least be able to grill him about his generalities
>and stereotyping until he's forced to admit that there is a lot more to
>the bag of beans than he would care to recognize.

He won't admit it if he doesn't want to, no matter what you do,
you've seen it yourself. Anyway, he's been here for two and a half
years already, if he doesn't care to recognise it by now, then again
he doesn't want to. (I guess that's his prerogative, but it's not his
prerogative to dump it on us, nor on anybody.) Grilling him's
unlikely to get anywhere, countering his views would show him up to
everyone else but he still wouldn't see it. I think there's no
shortage of such demonstrations in the list archives and I doubt
doing it again this time would have added anything.

>Just throttling the guy lets him off too easy. Now it's he who gets to
>claim that his sensibilities were offended, further enforcing and
>propigating his peculiar beliefs elsewhere.
>
>Give 'em enough rope to hang themselves. If they're smart, they won't
>use it all.

Wouldn't it be true that if they were smart they wouldn't do it in
the first place? He already hanged himself, he ignored everything and
everyone, that's not smart.

>If they aren't, the world should at least be given the
>pleasure of watching them swing at the end of the yardarm of their own
>making.

:-) Do you mean in the sense that justice must be seen to be done or
something like that? You might have a point. But really it just
wastes time, it's a distraction, it clutters the place up, makes it
more difficult for serious people to carry on a reasonable
discussion. It's exactly that kind of crap that's truly "off-topic".
It doesn't take much to drag a list down, as we all know, just one or
two heedless people who want it all their own way. It's because this
kept happening time and time again that people started yelling "NO
TOPIC-COPS!" in the first place, years ago. We had it all out then, a
few times, and that's when the rule was made. We formalised it a year
ago, me and a group of list members, the whole list concurred, and
that's that. Now it happens much less.

Has anything much changed, is there anything more to it now than the following?

> >What does it amount to anyway? "You're only allowed to
> >talk about what **I** want to talk about"? Usually it's either that
> >or a poorly disguised demand for censorship. Or a complaint that
> >there isn't any censorship, which looks like Duff's case. Not that
> >he'd call it censorship.

There's been a constant trickle of these people for nearly five
years, and what most of them have in common is that no matter what
you do, no matter what's proved or disproved and resides in a
publicly accessible archives for all to see, if he wants to claim
that it's his sensibilities that were offended and wants to propagate
his beliefs elsewhere, HE'LL DO IT ANYWAY.

Another thing we've found is that it doesn't matter. If people are
smart they'll check, ask a few questions, and quickly discover that
he's full of it. If not, then the same applies - what does it matter?

Todd, I'm not just dismissing what you say, you make some good
points, as ever. I'll surely keep them in mind. Too late this time
though.

I should say I don't know what Duff will do or won't do, I'm not
trying to hang all this on him personally, all I can say is how other
people who've expressed the same views have behaved in the past.

Anyway it's not my concern. My often-stated position is that as
list-owner my first obligation is to the list itself and the issues
it represents, my second obligation is to the individual members,
UNTIL they put the first obligation at risk. We do everything we can
to make sure list members know what kind of community they've joined
and how to get the best out of it, if they don't take any notice
that's their problem. It's their loss too - it wouldn't be easy to
persuade me that heedless and selfish people are any loss to the
list. It isn't here for "outreach", it doesn't have a missionary
role, it's only here to be useful to its members (many of whom use it
as a source for their own outreach).

Hey, Todd, all this isn't aimed at you either, just restating policy.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan