Brian Rodgers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Mike
"So would I."
Did you?
"The filter has less to do with sine wave synthesis and more to do
with ensuring a clean signal."
Of course, this is basic electronics.

Then why did your original message question my method for generating the signal when I didn't offer one. I made a suggestion to use a filter to clean the signal?

Which is probably why Kirk said it is very lossy.

What losses? A Sallen-Key, Op-amp (voltage controlled device - impedance is infinite) circuit, operating at 5 volts (for example) will attenuate the pass band by a very small amount (milliamps). I can only assume that Kirk thought I was suggesting to filter the amplified, power signal.

To turn away a signal is in itself loss

Agreed. Quantify that loss, compare it to losses used in other circuits and get back to me with an answer as to how important that loss is.

unless you have some way to feed it back
after massaging it. Do you have access to an oscilloscope?
Check out the wave shape coming out of a cheap battery backup used for
small computers. Compare it to the wave shape of grid AC.
Can you see the difference? "There is also the added bonus of creating/using more primitive signal generators without sacrificing quality since the filter will
reject unwanted signals."

Why are you using primitive electronics?

Cheap, easy to build, parts are readily available, lends itself to analog designs without requiring a lot of tuning and NO programming. But, it was never my intention to debate the "ideal" circuit design with you in the first place.

"OK So....are you going to explain why or just leave me hangin'? Mike"
You haven't the foggiest idea why I said you were hanging?

No. I still don't.

Hmmm.

Hmmm? Please stop trying to be profound and get to the point.

I am trying to help.

So am I.

I simply offered information. Without presuming it's value to others, I offered it as-is, for people to use or not use. Do you think this group would be as successful as it is if people didn't have a desire to experiment, depart from what everyone else is doing and take a shot at being innovative? Your suggestion to copy and/or scavenge from other devices is important. However, if that's all you do and reject unconventional approaches because they are too time consuming or more expensive or simply because "it's not done that way", then I don't have much more to say to you on this topic.

This isn't the first time and it won't be the last time I suggest something that is summarily rejected or otherwise called impractical, too...(whatever), or not what everyone else is doing. There are days when I actually see it as a compliment.

So, Thanks!

Brian

Mike