Michael Redler wrote:

> I have a lot of friends in Canada who don't think like your posts
> suggest and I'm grateful. I often see Canadian culture as nurturing the
> voice of reason (what you call fence riding).

        Many Canadians DO think of themselves as a voice of reason.  Kim has
pointed out in the past, however, that there's a lot of apathy up here
too.

> The US has a long history of judging people. Pearl Harbor (for example)
> gets bombed by Japan and Japanese-American citizens are rounded up and
> put in camps.

        The same thing happened in British Columbia.  Racism transcends
national boundaries.

> Indigenous people were judged too. There was a consensus that started
> with "we" couldn't trust "those savages" and now the result is hidden in
> plain sight by what you don't see in phone books.
>
> Saying a thief is a thief, a liar is a liar and so on isn't the issue.
> What is disturbing to me is how quickly you point your finger and
> without any hesitation, apply a label and with it, a judgment with no
> interest in researching the matter any further.

        We are all people who carry flaws.  Sometimes we say or write things
impulsively.  Any one of us, subjected to close enough scrutiny, would
qualify for criticism.  Let's drop the rocks and roll up our sleeves
to get some work done.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind