Brent S wrote:

>well, I have found a batch of oil that won't sepparate. I have heated it to
>220f to make sure there isn't any water in it. It has been at 220f for an
>hour or so with no boiling. I have titrated it several times with a result
>of 5. I have made test batches at 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 grams per litre with no
>sepparation, just a light brown soup that jells when it cools.
>
>the oil itself seams to stay quite thick up to 120-130f. Is there anything
>that could be in the oil to make it do this?
>
>Brent

In a situation like this, I'd probably eliminate variables...  Use
virgin oil for a test batch, make up a fresh batch of NaOH titration
solution, find out if the methanol is pure, the NaOH is still NaOH, not
contaminated with CO2 or water, and see if separation happens correctly.

doug

All generalizations are false.  Including this one.