Any known functional groups?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chris Tan
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 1:58 PM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Methanol substitution

Hydrocarbons are relatively inert. They only undergo reaction at
vigorous conditions such high pressure and/or high temperature, i.e.
with a spark(kaboom!). A reactant would need to have what is called a
"functional group" to react at less vigorous condition. With alcohols,
the functional group is -OH which makes it react.

Best,
Chris