>On Nov 29, 2005, at 11:51 PM, Keith Addison wrote:
>

> > We're veering between incaution and overcaution. There've
> > been some other messages pooh-poohing safety in general.
> > I'd agree too much safety is dangerous, but so is too little.
> > What's required is *due* caution, which needs good information.
>

>Thanks again, Keith, for bringing a balanced viewpoint, much
>as I do like to veer :-).

:-) So do I Ken, I'm sure we're not the only ones. I suppose it would
be wiser always to wait until one had enough information for a
balanced viewpoint before veering, but I can't plead guilty to that.

>Though hardly a chemophobe, even I would
>be horrified to take pure methanol internally even in the minutest
>of quantities.

Right, no way. Let Nature provide if she wants to, I'm sure she
doesn't need any help from me.

>I'm cautious but not paranoid about the occasional
>whiff of vapor, and less cautious still about absorption through the
>skin. I wouldn't immerse my hands in it, but a spill or splash vapor-
>izes almost instantly and has no time to be significantly absorbed.

I agree with you, but I wouldn't advise it, such advice too easily
goes wild - "Ken says Cleopatra used to bath in it" or something.

Actually I never get exposed to it when I'm making biodiesel, but
like Joe I use it for a lot of other things, it's useful stuff,
splashes happen, but it's negligible.

I agree with Bob though, I absolutely don't want methanol in my eyes,
and I'm careful about that.

You're using it with a mix of mostly ethanol aren't you? That'd make
it friendlier. Coming soon to a workshop near me, it's only #4 on the
list now. Well, on that particular list...

All best

Keith