On Jan 25, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Blas Antonio Guanes wrote:

>  the problem is that, methanol costs 4 $ and pure ethanol
> for car costs 0.52 $, NaOH is gotten in any part.. KOH is
> sold in bags of 25  kilos for soap industry.. Here in Paragua
> it is difficult to get chemical products. for that reason I want
> know how I can make with oil, ethanol and NaOH

Have you tried dissolving NaOH in pure anhydrous ethanol? It is
difficult. If you can dissolve the required amount (perhaps by
boiling the ethanol/NaOH mixture under reflux), you could possibly
make biodiesel out of very clean dry oil. If you only use 3.5g NaOH
per liter of oil, or if your ethanol or oil contain any water, you will
probably never achieve separation of a glycerine phase. All your
ingredients go into a clear solution, and just stay that way forever.
Until glycerine separates, you don't have biodiesel.

-K