Hello Randall

> [...]
>it? You're obliged to
>be aware of what your government does abroad with your tax money,
>and if you do nothing to counter it you are complicit. What other
>people
>or other governments do is beside the point. The only exception is
>if you live under a totalitarian dictatorship, then you're not
>complicit because you're just a helpless slave."
>
>By your statement, in order for someone to even have a chance to
>avoid the responsibility for any bad actions by their government
>(ie. pollution, torture or nuking a country), it seems that they
>will need to be a person who:
>
>1)  Is capable of being aware of EVERYTHING that the government does
>domestically and internationally.  To do this, you will need to
>posess God-like omniscience
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniscience) since you will need to be
>aware of all actions performed by every single one of the MILLIONS
>of people that are connected with the US Federal government alone --
>currently almost 2 million employees if you ignore the Military and
>the Postal Service.  (http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs041.htm)    How
>many more work for the various State and Local governments.  How
>many people work for quasi-governmental institutions that have an
>effect on how the government operates?  You quoted at least one
><http://www.pipa.org/>.
>
>2)  Is able to influence ALL of those MILLIONS of people, or possess
>the knowledge to choose which of the MILLIONS of people you will
>need to influence to force all the remaining people that you cannot
>influence (time, distance, numbers of people to speak with,
>whatever) to do what you wish them to do.
>
>3)  Possess the knowledge of the correct thing to do, and how to
>communicate this to all of the people that you will need to
>influence to make what you want to happen occur in the manner that
>you desire.
>
>---  or  ---
>
>Is it ok for someone to just complain about the actions of the
>government to avoid being labeled complicit, or do they have to
>actually DO something?
>
>If they have to do something, does it have to be effective?  If so,
>how effective does their action have to be?
>
>How closely related to the government in question can someone be,
>and avoid responsibility for that  government's actions?   Are other
>countries that benefit from the actions of your government
>responsible for the actions of your government?  If so, are the
>people of those other countries then also responsible for your
>governments actions??
>
>What if you don't want to give the government money, but they take
>it under the threat of death or imprisonment?
>
>So...let me ask you personally:  What are you doing?  How effective
>have your actions been?  What will you do in the future to become
>more effective? When do you become blameless?  Are you aware of how
>every single dollar is spent by our government?

Whose is bigger eh? :-)

What am I doing. For what's most visible, how about Journey to
Forever? Or running the Biofuel list and helping to keep it well fed
over the last six years with the kind of information you specify,
often against strong opposition by people who would much rather have
it left comfortably buried out of sight where the forces we're
discussing had put it, and put them too in a state of heedless and
uncaring ignorance, consent, and indeed complicity.

That information includes about the best set of tools I've seen for
doing all the things you specify, including investigation, spin
detection, source checking, counter-spin and counter-propaganda, and
the kind of activism required if you're interested in a sustainable
future. There's been much discussion here on activism, and on "What
can I do?" That's all there too, with solutions offered. And I
provide this resource.

That's just for now, some things.

If you go back through my history you'll find an unbroken record of
opposing the forces we're discussing, in many ways and across a broad
range of issues, and in many countries, mainly but not only as a
campaigning journalist. It's something I've never stopped since I
started it long ago in white racist South Africa, where life tended
to be short and have ugly endings for people who felt they ought to
take a hand in deciding what they were going to be complicit in.

You can find some of the details of all this at our website, and
elsewhere. I'm not planning on stopping.

Have my actions been effective? Yes, they have. They are being now.
There are very many people, VERY many, who could give you their own
versions of that story. Together it all covers everything you specify
and much besides. Today these people work both separately and
together, sharing resources across a wide range of issues, the whole
range perhaps, via the Internet, the great leveller. Are their
actions proving effective? You could ask the WTO that question for
instance, or Monsanto, or ExxonMobil, or George Bush getting furious
because his ratings are plunging and he can't find anybody to nuke
for it.

It's a heartless view to ask people who work for change what effect
they're having. It's the accumulative effect that creates change, and
when change happens it's impossible to say quite who or what "caused"
it.

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping
with a mosquito." -- the Dalai Lama.

You point out the disadvantages now facing someone in a country that
for 30 years and more has been increasingly supine in all aspects of
the vigilance required of a population over their government and
business interests.

Not to say it was exactly perfect before that, but for 30 years and
more your media have been abandoning the flock they're supposed to be
guarding and joining the wolves, and now they're owned and run and
controlled by a very small number of wolves, in straightforward
collusion with an effectively cloaked government-corporate sector
that has gone far beyond the pale of responsible citizenship. Now you
point at this and other such results of heedless inaction as
obstacles to taking action. But aren't you just an accessory, along
with everyone else who let it all just slip through your fingers?

The law says ignorance of the law is no excuse. Civil society might
say that ignorance of things you should know is no excuse. One good
reason for that is that none of these things has been truly hidden.
The information has always been there for anyone who wanted to know.
That it wasn't in the NYT or on FoxNews doesn't mean it wasn't
available. In fact it's quite surprising how much has been plainly
recorded in the NYT and the other mainstream newspapers that people
say they had no way of knowing.

There surely is no way of knowing something if you don't want to know
it. The opinion manufacturing industry doesn't really hide things as
much as render them uninteresting, the eye slides away, the ear goes
deaf, the attention wanders. It works very well. But not on
everybody. Not everybody is deaf to the truth, not everybody swallows
the lies. Why's that? How do some people - many people - manage to
stay awake and alert and undeceived? That has a bearing on
complicity, don't you think?

Now there are many people who genuinely believe that if it's not on
FoxNews it never happened, it doesn't exist. The influence and sheer
lack of quality and responsibility of FoxNews is not something that
could occur in a vigilant society. Nevertheless, everything that
isn't on FoxNews does exist and is there to be found, if only you
look.

>>I just said in another message: "You have to stop the spin. The
>>trouble is it works so well most people aren't even aware of it, and
>>if they are they think they're immune."

It's the PROBLEM Randall, not the excuse!

>If they have to do something, does it have to be effective?  If so,
>how effective does their action have to be?

If they do their best, then the question isn't very relevant. Unless
you claim that individuals are helpless and opposition to power is
doomed to failure. In fact lots of little half-heard voices whisper
that in your ear all the time, and in everyone else's ear too. Or
rather they don't have to whisper that now, not for a long time, they
only have to reinforce it.

Yet now everyone is talking of an awakening, and there's no doubt
that it's true. Especially since about eight months ago.

How do you think that happened?

It could not have happened had there not been *enough* committed
people doing their best to make a difference and achieving worthwhile
results since long before, always keeping the light burning, no
matter how often it sputtered. Enough for the rest not to have any
shred of an excuse.

People point to social apathy as a problem too, and instead of trying
to get to the root of it they claim it's basic human nature, so
what's the point of trying to do anything about it. If you're a
"believer" in social apathy, do you think people were as apathetic 50
years ago as they are now? A hundred years ago? They weren't. They
were a lot more skilful too. So what changed?

Nothing is really hidden, not even the reason that so many people
don't ask the questions they should.

So...let me ask you personally:  What are you doing?

What aren't you complicit in?

You don't have to answer Randall. This is not how either of these
issues of torture and nuking Iran arose here. The talk of blame and
accountability and responsibility and complicity started when people
began protesting that it's not *their* fault, it's no use blaming
*them*. But there's rather more to both civic and personal
responsibility than avoiding blame.

But look at the way you put it, in your second paragraph:

>By your statement, in order for someone to even have a chance to
>avoid the responsibility for any bad actions by their government
>(ie. pollution, torture or nuking a country), it seems that they
>will need to be a person who:

You say it a couple of times. Is that the holy grail, do you think,
to avoid responsibility? I'm sure you didn't mean to, but you imply
that the bad actions are okay as long as you can't be held personally
responsible for them. That's just how you (pl) got to where you are,
with all the problems you describe. Do you really think that? If not
what do you think?

Best

Keith