Not so miniscule
The native American name for where Los Angeles is now was "Valley of the smokes"

Kirk

"E. C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

whooee Jason or Katie, et al;

what a gigantic can-o'-worms y'all have opened there!
-- & none suitable for vermiculture, either. ;-)

Controlled burning has been common since settlers
invaded Native American's homelands (yes, they also
used the practice, but on a miniscule scale). Until
perhaps the last couple decades, it was considered
"sound science", especially by Big Lumber & eager
human habitat developers -- still is, in
mostly-denialist quarters.

Only recently has science caught up with what we all
know, instinctively: Ma Nature knows best how to
handle eco-systems and, in the short term (thinking in
multiple millenia), can be pretty unforgiving of
species (like humans) who refuse to recognise that
maxim. Unfortunately, because we (humans) have become
so ubiquitious, prolific, & bellicose, we face the
possibility of taking many, many species with us into
oblivion (California Condors, Polar Bears, Amazon (&
other)Frogs, Butterflies & Penguins are just the tip
of a melting iceberg).

Earnest regards,
Allen