Burning was common among many tribes. When in Billings Montana I had to laugh because in an interview with a Crow chief in the Billings Gazette, front page no less, the comment was made "Not only is it beautiful - it cleanses." A comment like that could arouse the attention of a fireman as it might be coming from a pyromaniac.

Actually annual burning stops invasive brush species from taking over grasslands. It also stimulates the grasslands as I witnessed firsthand as I had burned the vegetation on the sides of my driveway to ameliorate the snowdrifts that would otherwise occur with the windbreak. Next spring the burned area grew faster and taller than the rest of the field. Also the brush that was invading the field was stopped at the fireline. Native Americans had firsthand traditional knowledge of natural stewardship. They neither tilled nor sowed those lands yet we read the 100plus year ago histories and see the devastating fires that ruined watersheds came with the wasetchu - otherwise known as "the locust people" as they ate everything including the rocks and trees.

White peoples have a poor record in recommending themselves as stewards. They also are very quick to tell Native Americans the time tested traditional methods are wrong as well. :)

Kirk

"E. C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Interesting, Kirk

Have you researched that name (i haven't), & found
that it applied because the Native Americans
control-burned the forests that covered the mountain
slopes? If so, to what purpose? I find that notion a
bit of a stretch, in light of what i've read & learned
about Native Americans' deep respect -- yes,
reverence, even -- for the Earth & its natural
inhabitants, plant and animal.

Might it (the name) be more likely derived from
observation of the natural phenomenon of the
atmospheric inversion that made L.A. "the smog capital
of the world" even before today's obscene paved
parking lot?

No disrespect for L.A., which millions regard as a
vibrant, culturally-diverse & progressive community of
communities -- but in the context of millions of acres
of "managed" forest lands, that valley IS pretty
miniscule, even if ancient Native Americans did
similarly "manage" timber there.

Regards,
Allen (E. Allen C)