It's not just gear ratios, but also the tradeoff between rolling resistance and wind resistance.  Obviously the worse the aerodynamics, the lower the optimum speed, no matter if the engine is regeared to operate at optimum efficiency point -- my schoolbus gets much better mileage at 35mph than 60mph because it's a brick.   Most modern cars have alot better aerodynamics than ones from the 80's when we had the 55mph limit, so maybe it is higher now.

I know that my VW  (1991) is geared such that 55mph is pretty good for 4th gear, but 5th gear is pretty useless till you get to almost 75mph when it starts cruising right along again (which does drop the mileage to low 40's)

Zeke