I can't direct you to any emails or even to a news item I recall.  The
program outlined how on operation in Kansas recovered methane off it's
lagoons, along with using methane from a nearby landfill.  I want to
recall it was on the Sunflowers journeys produced by KTWU
http://ktwu.washburn.edu/journeys/ , but I can't seem to find it.  I
have also read of hog and dairy  operations using "biomethane"
production to power their operations, selling excess electrical power to
the power company grid.   My guess is even after any methane recovery,
the waste may end up as fertilizer, but I really don't know

Doug, N0LKK
Kansas USA inc.