robert and benita rabello wrote:
> Darryl McMahon quoted an article that included:
>
>> Fund new technology to curb climate change: oil executive
>>
>>SNIP
>>

>     Let's see if I understand this:
>SNIP

>     Hmmm . . .
>     Here's what I propose:
>
>     1.  Use LESS energy!
>
>     2.  A significant windfall profits tax on the oil companies.

Here I don't agree, don't agree at all.

All that is needed, if for the oil companies, and the ilk that
empowers them, to 'put their money where their collective mouths
are' viz a viz Free Market Enterprise.

No need to come up with a punitive windfall profit tax, that just
sounds like 'punishing success'.

Rather, make them pay their own way, like you or I would have to
do, were we in business.

*If* they need a world power to go to war to secure "their" resources,
then they pay for that war, outright, out of pocket.  >DING< watch
renewable resource energy take off like a rocket!

Note, the principal on the public debt incurred by the first
gulf war hasn't even been touched yet.

>     3.  Significant financial incentives for consumers to invest in
> efficiency at home.

Again, not really needed, just remove all the handouts large monolithic
monopolistic multinational energy companies are receiving on the backs
of large scale future deficit funding by the taxpayers.

I think efficiency upgrades would compete rather well in a 'Free
Market Economy'

>     4.  Significant financial incentives for communities to plan for
> lowered energy use.

same same

>     5.  A significant tax on energy use that will encourage conservation.

Again, I really don't think increasing taxes is the answer, any more
than is further drilling in the gulf or opening ANWR.