  From: Rexis Tree
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 11:54 AM
  Subject: [Biofuel] Jatropha vs Castor

  I had did some web study on Castor and Jatropha.

  Jatropha, being promoted as the perfect biodiesel crop by India, is receiving
international highlights and many investors are interested or even start
investing in planting this crop. This may spoil the original intension of
promoting Jatropha, when large forest was cleared again to make way for
Jatropha plantation rather then planting them on the wasteland or marginal land
where india planned to do.

  Castor, the beautiful yet deadly seeds of castor, has been long used as an
non edible oil source by mankind, as well as in other industrial application
like paint, nylon, food addictive, lubricant, etc. And castor oil is a unuqie
oil that it can completely dissolve in alcohol(not too sure what that means, no
catalyst needed?).

  Our focus here is obviously biofuel. About which is the better choice for
biodiesel.

  Similarity:
   - drought resistance
   - oily seeds sitable for fuel purpose
   - seed cake made an excellence manure
   - poisonious and therefore producing non eatable oil
   - a kind of weed

  Jatropha advantage
   - it is said that Jatropha would trive on all kind of soil even rocky soil
   - Higher oil yield
   - it can improve the soil quality

  Jatropha disadvantage
   - since it is relatively new crop therefore it was not well understood, and
inaccurate yield figure estimation may harm profit, more research and real data
required
   - Jatropha is suitable for India where large area of their land consist of
arid wasteland, but may not be suitable to other country like those with lots
of rain forest.

  Castor advantage
   - Castor oil is one of the oldest traded goods, mankind has been trading
castor oil since a few thousand years ago
   - Castor oil has a lot of industrial usage, therefore a market is already
exsistance, thou limited
   - Since it was cultivated before in commercial plantation, its biology is
well understood, and high yield hybrid is available
   - Castor can be found in medium climate area as an annual crop or in
tropical area as a small tree
   - faster oil yield and long term yield is possible for tropical/warm area

  Castor disadvantage
   - It is said that castor will exhaust the soil quickly, fertilizer required
to maintain a large castor plantation for a reasonable yield, but castor can
often been seen as weed growing without attension, therefore it is possible to
plant it as marginal plant in unattended idle area.
   - it notorious poison is feared by the public, perhaps a research on castor
poison(ricin) remedy is necessary.

  I do not have a conclusion currently, but as you can see, I am trying to open
up Castor as an extra option here.

   - Cultivation requirement: Jatropha maybe able to trive on most kind of
soil, but I believe that to yield reasonable harvest, irrigation and fertilizer
still required. Castor, while the cultivation requirement is better understood
then Jatropha, it is still unknown about which one gets better yield if left
unattended in a poor condition area, it is possible that each of them will
exceed another under specific senarior, intercropping of castor and jatropha
also an interesting subject.

   - Harvesting: it seems like it is more labourious to harvest Jatropha, which
its yield grow as scattered fruit, yes, olive harvester can be modified to
harvest Jatropha but it will involved high capital. Castor seem to be easier to
harvest as its yeild made of a branch of fruit, worker can just cut the whole
branch at once.

   - Toxicity: It seems that castor seeds are much more deadly then Jatropha,
its toxic, which was being used in assasination, implies that it is extremely
deadly and no remedy avaibale; however castor oil is perfectly harmless due to
the fact that the toxic is only water soluble not oil soluble. Jatropha, even
though toxic, in some case, was roasted and being eaten dangerously, but note
that Jatropha toxic is deadly as well can kill a person by a 5-6 seeds, I am
unable to find more articles about its toxicity and remedy about Jatropha here.
Both plant is said can be detoxify by simply heating it and thurs destroying
the toxic protein, confirmation needed here thou.

   - Cost: this is also a main factor, the lower input with higher outcome is
desired.

  Any other topics are welcome.

  Just my 1/2 cents, top up or add on are most welcome.

  Regards
  Rexis