Hi Jan, Rexis

>Hello REXIS.
>The castor oil is highly questionable as a raw material for
>biodiesel production due to two important issues::
>1) The biodiesel from castor oil will have a too high viscosity well
>outside the specs.
>2) The fatty acids of castor oil are very special and polymerize
>easily forming heavier compounds while releasing water.

Thankyou - I didn't know it releases water while polymerising. (It's
about 87% ricinoleic acid.) Actually it's a very stable oil, it takes
heat to polymerise it. Because of how it works the polymerisation
works as a benefit when castor oil is used as lubricating oil. As
fuel, in biodiesel form, it would seem it would only get enough heat
to polymerise once it's in the combustion chamber, but it wouldn't be
there long enough for that before it combusts. If it does manage to
release any water at that stage, it might not be a bad thing. A lot
of work is being done on water injection and fuel-water emulsions,
for the resulting emissions reductions.

So I'm not sure the polymerising is an obstacle. The high viscosity
is an obstacle, but nonetheless a lot of castor oil biodiesel is
being produced and traded and used.

Rexis, there has been a lot of previous discussion about castor oil
and biodiesel, please see these archives links:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg64046.html
Re: [Biofuel] Castor oil

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg61669.html
Re: [Biofuel] sustainable biodiesel from Casto : Big is not beautiful, s

You should use the list archives please.

>Unsuitable ?  Yes.
>
>With best regards
>Jan Warnqvist

It means that in theory castor oil can be used in ethanol production
to separate the distilled ethanol from the 5% or more of water it
will contain, producing anhydrous ethanol that can be used for
production of ethyl esters biodiesel (and anhydrous ethanol can also
be blended with gasoline for fuel use, but not if there's any water
in it).

Again, please use the archives.

>Our focus here is obviously biofuel. About which is the better
>choice for biodiesel.

There really is no one-size-fits-all "better choice" for biodiesel.
Biofuels production only makes sense at the local level, which means
that the best choice will vary very widely depending on the local
circumstances.

By the way, I don't think you should be thinking in terms of
industrialised monocrops and plantations and irrigation and
fertilisers (along with mass-murder pesticides like paraquat), wrong
direction, and no need for it. It's the wrong paradigm for biofuels
production, it will almost always have negative repercussions, often
severe, no matter which "best crop" you use.

>Similarity:
> - drought resistance
> - oily seeds sitable for fuel purpose
> - seed cake made an excellence manure

Castor oil seedcake? With jatropha seedcake it's just an excuse - all
oilseed cake makes an effective "fertiliser" but it's usually
considered a waste, it's a better use to feed it to livestock and use
the livestock manure as fertiliser.

> - poisonious and therefore producing non eatable oil
> - a kind of weed
>
>Jatropha advantage
> - it is said that Jatropha would trive on all kind of soil even rocky soil

There are many trees that are just as hardy as jatropha, including
oil-bearing trees that don't have some of jatropha's disadvantages.

> - Higher oil yield

Higher than what, than castor oil? I doubt it.

> - it can improve the soil quality

Allegedly, because it's a legume, and legumes fix nitrogen in their
roots. Whether they actually do so or not and to what extent depends
on a lot of things. Again, many other trees are legumes, including
oil-bearing trees.

>Jatropha disadvantage
> - since it is relatively new crop therefore it was not well
>understood, and inaccurate yield figure estimation may harm profit,
>more research and real data required
> - Jatropha is suitable for India where large area of their land
>consist of arid wasteland,

Are you sure it's wasteland? I think land is in short supply in
India, any land.

>but may not be suitable to other country like those with lots of rain forest.

You miss a major disadvantage, that the oilseed cake left after
extraction is toxic and cannot be fed to livestock. That is almost
always downplayed by jatropha fans, but it can seriously affect the
economics of using jatropha as a biodiesel feedstock.

Other disadvantages are that it's difficult to extract the seed, and
difficult to extract the oil from the seed.

There's a message in the archives about jatropha in India from Dr. A.
D. Karve, president of the Appropriate Rural Technology Institute
(ARTI) in Maharashtra, India, here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg48290.html

I'll repost it here:

> I have conducted field experiments on both castor and Jatropha.  I had
>already mentioned in a previous E-mail, that Jatropha was tested rather
>widely in India and was given up because it was not found to be as high
>yielding as the traditional oil crops in India.  I do not know how it
>behaves in other countries, but under our agroclimatic and edaphic
>conditions, Jatropha produces much more vegetative matter than fruits.  At
>harvest, one has to search for the occasional fruit hidden behind all the
>foliage that this plant produces.  It is found all over India as a wild
>plant.  India has some 25 uncultivated species of trees that yield
>non-edible oil. The seed of the wild trees is collected by villagers and
>sold to merchants attending the weekly village markets, but no farmer would
>ever think of growing them as a crop, because all of them are lower yielding
>than the cultivated oil plants such as peanut, soybean, sunflower,
>safflower, sesame, various mustards and rapes, coconut, etc. Among the
>seasonal oilseeds, hybrid castor is the highest yielding (2.5 tonnes oil per
>ha), but it is not an edible oil. The highest yield of edible oil, also
>about 2.5 tonnes per ha, is obtained from coconut. Oil palm, which yields 6
>tonnes of oil per hectare in Malaysia,  was tested and given up as low
>yielding under Indian conditions.
>Yours A.D.Karve

Here's some more from Dr Karve on jatropha, in a recent discussion at
the Stoves list at REPP.

>I fail to understand why the Government of India is making so much
>propaganda about Jatropha, which is a low yielding, wild plant.
>Nobody in India has ever obtained more than 300 to 400 kg of oil per
>ha from Jatropha. ... Any cultivated oilseed plant species, which
>has been subjected to plant breeding input, would yield more oil
>than Jatropha... Land is in short supply. If one has to use land to
>grow anything, one should not grow a low yielding plant like
>Jatropha.
>A.D.Karve, 30 Apr 2007

> > It seems that Jatropha can potentially have two advantages over seed from
> > other plants:
> >
> > 1. It can grow on land which is otherwise unsuitable for agricultural
> > production, it can even be planted as a stabiliser in areas of
>soil erosion,
> > producing seeds with 1 year of planting.
> >
> > 2. Many organisations advertise very large potential yields from Jatropha
> > (up to 12 tonnes per hectare), on the other hand it seems there have also
> > been many disappointing projects in India with yields below 1 tonne per
> > hectare the norm and many farmers giving up altogether on the plants.
>
>1 tonne of Jatropha seed per ha is the norm in India [ie 300 to 400
>kg of oil, about the same as soy]. If grown on poor soil, the yield
>is even less. For holding soil on sloping lands, there are other
>plants, which would be more profitable than Jatropha.
>A.D.Karve, 4 May 2007

On India's much-publicised plans to grow Jatropha along the railway lines:

> [...]
>of kilometers. It can only be done if the land is leased to
>villagers living along the railway track, but it is a potentially
>dangerous thing to do, because once the land is handed over to the
>people, it would be practically impossible to evict them. The
>railway ministry is especially notorious for its leniency towards
>squatters. Squatters are living for generations on railway platforms
>and the railway does nothing about them. In a democracy, one does
>not antagonise voters.
>A.D.Karve
>
> > At present the price of non-edible oils may be far higher than the INR 25
> > set by the government. As a result, no farmer would sell at that price
> > unless forced to. However by setting that price floor, the government
> > creates the economic guarantee for future planning purposes for both small
> > and large scale.  Since investing in oil bearing plants is not a 1 season
> > affair, it is helpful to be able to calculate the marginal cost.
>As long as
> > the marginal cost of planting a non-edible is lower than or equal to that
> > INR25 a farmer can at least assured that in the worst case of a massive
> > market glut, s/he would nevertheless be able to cover costs.
>Naturally this
> > works better on a larger scale, but from an economists viewpoint it does
> > have an effect of ensuring that land usage decisions will respond to this
> > price floor based on opportunity cost at a minimum price of INR
>25 and above
> > not speculation as to long-term movements of the anything below this floor.
> > If not a price at which farmers are forced to sell, the policy really does
> > appear to support their long-term decision-making.
>
>The present price of diesel in India is between Rs. 35 and Rs. 40
>(about US$1) per litre. The potential users of biodiesel would not
>like to pay more for biodiesel. In order to assure the users of
>biodiesel that they would not have to pay more than the price of
>mineral diesel, the government initially set the price of Jatropha
>oil at Rs. 15 per kg. When the Government realised that it would not
>get a single drop of Jatropha oil at Rs.15 per kg, the price was
>raised to Rs.25 per kg. I have never come across any document that
>says that Rs.25 was the minimum floor price of Jatropha oil.
>Everybody assumes that Jatropha oil would be available at Rs.25 per
>kg. Adding the cost of processing to the basic price of Rs.25 per
>kg, it may be possible to produce biodiesel at Rs.40 per litre. But
>adding manufacturer's profit, the cost of transport, cost of
>maintaining the supply chain, and taxes, the cost of biodiesel to
>the end user would be around Rs. 100 per litre. The Government is
>just playing to the gallery with its declared price of Rs.25 per kg.
>It knows that the price of vegetable oil in India, whether edible or
>non-edible, is never going to go down to Rs.25 level. I therefore

Jatropha has it's place as an oil crop nonetheless, and so does
castor oil, despite their disadvantages, but it depends on the place,
on the local circumstances. Neither is likely to be a sole solution,
but one of a range of solutions.

Best

Keith