[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Uh-huh Allan
>
> community, which is a hotbed of the Clarkian view.  This past July I
> went to the Robert A. Heinlein Centennial,

YOu were at the Heinlein Centennial? Man, wish I'd have known!
I'd have gone in that case.

Friend of mine was present. At some of the bofs, he threw his mp3
recorder up on the table, and (with permissions from those present)
recorded the conversations and sent them to me, So I could peruse them
on my hideous commutes. Yes, as you say, amazing densities of phds
present. It was a very frustrating experience for me. because the
stereo imaging of his machine is quite good, and the quality of the
recordings was excellent. With 8 or so folks talking around the table
it was like being there, but not being able to participate. Interesting
stuff, I learned a lot. But as I couldn't interject, it was staggeringly
frustrating as quite a bit of what I heard was based in assumptions
and hypothesis that were absolutely and completely wrong and wrong headed.

> Currently the future of man and space isn't exploration, it's exploitation
> and militarisation, and there's probably not much chance that will change
> any time soon.

This is quite true, and it's quite sad.

> and published it too. There's more to it than the clarke-ian view, that's
> just the same tired old 1950s suburban Reader's Digest and can-do Popular
> Science mag utopianism still staggering about like the Undead in a new
> host body.

Hey, I *like* the 50s PSM utopianism !
I'm still angry we've dropped those overly simplistic models
from consideration. A lot of them made a lot of sense. I grew
up on that stuff, and still want it. Or at least, I'd like to
see it so I could be against it :)