Chris Burck wrote:
> oops, you're right, i didn't represent that entirely accurately.
> thanks for pointing that out.  my web correspondence is all via phone
> these days, and w/o a proper keyboard my thoughts sometimes get
> unintentionally compressed.

I hate it when that happens.  :-)

> but in effect, charging an ev would be
> direct use of the solar as compared to using that same power, to
> synthesize a fuel with which to power an ic engine.  i'd wager that to
> cover a given distance, the energy you'd need to charge your batteries
> wouldn't get you past the first couple reaction stages in making the
> synthetic fuel .  also, the inefficiencies of ev's are pretty darn
> minor.  compare ~90% for ev locomotion vs. ~30% for combustion engine.
>  direct comparison of battery to liquid fuel is not valid because
> elimination of the ic aparatus allows a much larger volume of battery
> than of liquid fuel.

Perhaps.

The renewable fuel + ICE vs. Battery Electric Vehicle argument is well
established in this forum, and I don't want to recapitulate it in this
thread.

> that said, i definitely would characterize the
> energy density gap as narrowing rapidly.

It is narrowing, certainly, but I suppose how rapidly it is happening
depends on one's perspective.

> the heinlein commemorative
> sounds like it might have been interesting.  kind of ironic that you'd
> bring it up in the context of this discussion, since i don't think he
> could have been further from the clarke-ian.  he was one of the most
> humanistic of his generation.

This is true.  I suppose my view would be more heinleinian than
clarkeian.  The result is the same.

AP