:-) It certainly does make the brain hurt.

>I do remember that thread.  I don't think corporations are entitled to
>'human' rights, generally because they are not human, and can't be
>subject to human penalties (e.g., imprisonment).  That made the
>practicality of making corporations answerable to the law difficult, but
>the concept was that they were not beyond the reach of the law.
>
>However, to my mind, this latest item is a quantum leap beyond that,
>because it codifies that the corporations are beyond the reach of the
>law (scofflaws), while still allowed to use the laws for their own
>interests (not outlaws).  The parallel that comes to my mind is the
>divine rights of kings.
>
>Where do we find the line that separates the beneficial corporate entity
>(e.g, the shoe repair shop in my community), from the the trans-national
>like Shell (subject of the original post in this thread)?

We've been through that before too. Weren't you just telling me that
"small is beautiful"?

"Small-scale capitalism works out fine, but as scale increases the
departure from real capitalism becomes more pronounced---profits are
privatized, but costs are socialized. The attendant repair and
maintenance are left to succeeding generations if possible, if not,
to present low and middle income taxpayers." -- "tvoivozhd",
Homestead list

IMHO if you can attach the word "community" or "local" to a business
description, it's misleading to call it a "corporate entity", though
it may be accurate.

>How do we get the laws changed to bring the corporations to heel, when
>it appears that they own the legal system?
>
>How do we starve the mammoth, when our senior governments are fixed on
>feeding them (remember 'too big to fail'), while allowing allowing
>actual organic species to go extinct?

That's the problem, Wall St owns Washington. (And the Pentagon likes
it that way.)

Adam Smith believed an efficient market is composed of small,
owner-managed enterprises located in the communities where the owners
reside.

Some notes (also in the archives I think):

Going back two centuries, economists have worried about what Adam
Smith described as the tendency of chieftains in a market system ''to
deceive and even to oppress the public.'

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment
and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the
public, or in some contrivance to raise prices" ("Wealth of
Nations"). He said businessmen always yearn to escape from price
competition through collusion.

He didn't like corporations and governments either. He viewed
government primarily as an instrument for extracting taxes to
subsidize elites and intervening in the market to protect corporate
monopolies. "Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the
security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the
rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against
those who have none at all.'"

Adam Smith commented in 1776 that the only trades that justified
incorporation were banking, insurance, canal building and waterworks.
He believed it was contrary to the public interest for any other
businesses or trades to be incorporated and that all should be run as
partnerships.

**Smith believed the efficient market is composed of small,
owner-managed enterprises located in the communities where the owners
reside. Such owners normally share in the community's values and have
a personal stake in the future of both the community and the
enterprise.**

In the global corporate economy, footloose money moves across
national borders at the speed of light, society's assets are
entrusted to massive corporations lacking any local or national
allegiance, and management is removed from real owners by layers of
investment institutions and holding companies.

His account of policy-making in England says that the "principal
architects" of policy - in his day the "merchants and manufacturers"
- make sure that their own interests are "most peculiarly attended
to", however "grievous" the effect on others, including the people of
England, but far more so, those who were subjected to "the savage
injustice of the Europeans", particularly in conquered India, Smith's
own prime concern.

"All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age
of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."
(The Wealth of Nations)

"Whenever there is great property, there is great inequality. For one
very rich man, there must be at least five hundred of the poor, and
the affluence of the few supposes the indigence of the many..." (The
Wealth of Nations)

Guess: how many times does Adam Smith mention the "invisible hand" in
The Wealth of Nations?

Once. And he doesn't think much of it.

An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
by Adam Smith
<http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/3/3/0/3300/3300-8.zip>

It's the same old answer: localise. Think globally, act locally. A
hell of a lot of people are doing that these days. You can build
corporate predators out of your life (I think you do that). Once
enough people do it, it reaches a critical mass that has an effect.
The only way to rein the corporations in is to keep on hurting them
in the pocket. That's what they've got instead of a heart. A pocket.
Paint their bottom line red and you'll have their attention. Finally
they learn that a black bottom line is conditional.

All best

Keith