From: Chip Mefford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Tue, October 26, 2010 3:30:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Biodiesel powered radiant heat (was Nigera)

I should clarify;

The oil burner system shown, is a BACKUP to the solar collector system shown
here:

http://cpm01.smugmug.com/Bicycles/buy-fresh-bike-local-2010/IMG0751/963631204_narY5-XL.jpg

When planning stuff like this, one of the key points to keep in mind, is the
order of
energy, as Amory Lovins puts it. Second law of thermodynamics. While an oil
burner is
in the same order of magnitude as the work in this case, heating the floor,
it's
still
a higher quality of energy. A closer match is solar power.

The closer the match, the more efficient, taking the long view. esp when you
factor
in the cracking of the biofuel in the first place.

Biofuels, like fossilfuels are just too danged convenient for their own good. :)

Using your ingenuity and some more of your food powered energy (IE doing work)
you
could probably front load your heating needs by dreaming up and implementing a
solar heat collection/distribution system, which would drop the biofuel
requirements
for your heating needs radically.

I know you are trying to get this done on a short timeline, but please plan for
migrating the main energy source from the oil burner to solar collection, I
think
you'll be happy you did. You don't have time to do it this year, but maybe next
summer.

Again, neat project, keep us posted!

cheers
--chipper