Our artificial Christmas tree has once again taken up pride of place in our living room (as of the end of November). This is it's 25th year. It was made in Canada (which I don't see anymore). Our decision to go with an artificial tree was not primarily environmental, but because it tends to be up for over a month each year, and some years is left unattended for days at a time.

It has received two major repairs in that time, and a major conversion to LED lighting about 4 years ago. It is festooned with ornaments we have received from friends and family over the years, mementos of major events in our family's life, and the annual memory ornaments I have written about previously on this list.

Unlike the the live trees that come and go each year, this one has its own history and memories for our family. I trust it will continue to be part of our lives for years to come.

Another approach to a re-usable (fake) tree that is more environmentally friendly.

http://boutique.cascades.com/ca/en/catalog/christmas-trees/massimo/

Another take on the fake vs. real discussion:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/story.cfm?content=178219

Darryl