In Canada, it is illegal to produce ethanol for fuel without a federal permit, and these are effectively never granted to a home brewer.

I have been pondering the idea of using methanol (wood alcohol) as an alternative to ethanol fuel, but have not taken the time to research it.

Has somebody else already done this, and can save me the effort?

My recollection is it is possible to use methanol as a motor fuel, which is supported by this document.

https://web.anl.gov/PCS/acsfuel/preprint%20archive/Files/20_2_PHILADELPHIA_04-75_0059.pdf

I know that during the war years (1939 to 1945), a number of people ran engines on wood gas (the images of large gas bladders on vehicle roof racks come easily to mind).

I do have access to wood waste and fruit waste material, but working space is at a premium. Also, the processes I see seem to be based on having process heat available (e.g., for pyrolysis). However, I don't think I need a lot - our third vehicle travels about 400 km a month, and I figure the methanol will only displace about 20 litres a month of gasoline at a maximum, probably less.

I can buy methanol commercially, but in small quantities (retail), it is more expensive than gasoline. However, could be an option for experimentation in the vehicle before committing to home production.

I also have not yet investigated regulatory and safety issues, but expect the latter to be manageable.

Thoughts, experience, pointers to relevant experience or information?