Hi David

I think Todd and I were talking mostly about Biodiesel Industries'
Modular Production Unit ("MPU"), which is an expensive corporate
gadget, and most of your points wouldn't apply (except #7). (See
"Container units - was Re: [biofuel] Yield of Jerusalem artichoke").

I did post some info on historical use of mobile units (ethanol).

I think Todd's comparison is with providing permanent infrastructure
for local cooperatives (grower-user-community energy self-suffiency),
so your points #1-6 wouldn't apply either.

Where primary producers want to market fuel, rather than use it
themselves or for the local community, there could be a case for
mobile units, depending (as always) on the circumstances. But again,
if they could afford it, they'd be better off, producing a cheaper
product and with greater independence and flexibility, if they had
their own plant tailored to their needs. Whoever makes it, whether
on-site or a mobile unit, it still has to travel down that road, good
or bad, to get to the market.

Where use of the fuel is to be local, there's a case for a mobile
unit where the producers/local community can't afford their own
production unit(s). But with a bit of improvising, small but
effective on-farm units can be very cheap. In Third World rural areas
labour to run them is also usually very cheap. You have to see the
operator of the mobile unit as another middleman, after all.

A mobile unit can certainly help to spread the concept of local fuel
self-sufficiency, and to extend the technology, and serve as an
interim measure until appropriate local facilities are installed.

Actually Journey to Forever will be such a unit, among other things,
though we aren't going to need a container for it.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects