Hi Paul,
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Gobert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Why you should fit a MIL

> David,
> re
>  >Oil does not wear out, it justs becomes
> > contaminated. If you are removing the contaminants  just as fast as they
> are  created your oil will last almost indefinitely.
** Entirely true.
> Was led to believe that oil is subject to two kinds of contamination,
> particulate and chemical.
> The bypass filter sounds like it will take care of the particulate
> contamination.
> Testing the oil should give an indication of the degree of chemical
> contamination.
> (fuel into oil,breakdown of oil additives etc)
** Again true. This is why you must use either P.O.A. or laboratory Fluids
Analysis when going past the 5,000 or 10,000 km mark. P.O.A. will tell you
with a degree of accuracy over 90% (generally 95 to 96% +) what the state of
your oil is like and degree or % of contamination. To some degree this
depends on the calibration of the unit and experience of the operator. That
is why we only quote over 90%. (Please remember that accurate laboratory
Fluids Analysis will give you results in ppm.).  It (p.o.a.) is a 30 second
test and by leaving a wide safety margin and testing regularly you can
insure your oil is up to scratch, does not have major acid build up, and
will still perform as per the manufacturers standards which are based on
SAE, API, or other Intl standards and specifications.  Accurate laboratory
Fluids Analysis is the only way to get 100% reliable results and when used
properly with a decent P.P.M scheme can establish a reliable wear pattern
and using Trend Analysis can establish extremely reliable results. The
difference is the cost and time period involved. Fluids Analysis gives you a
breakdown in ppm for various metals and elements depending on the tests
involved and upon analysis can give you reliable results which can be used
for the timely replacement of various components and parts before they
become major problems and cause excessive downtime. Many knowledgeable and
experienced freight companies are now using this for greater reliability and
to achieve much lower operating costs. P.O.A. on the other hand will not
give you individual results for any of the metals or other elements but a
result in terms of overall contamination which can be relied upon to give
you a accurate statement of your oil condition. When the two are used in
conjunction greater reliability and lower operating costs results. MIL-MAC
as such does not have a scheme in place. They are a by-pass filter
manufacturer who happen to make a good filter and whom I am working in with
promoting and selling their product. On the otherhand I do and along with
their filters I am trying to promote the use of P.O.A., Fluids Analysis, and
PPM schemes.

> My '82 Hilux with 2L diesel engine is a particularly smokey performer
 hope
> to alleviate that with biodiesel in the future) and contaminates the oil
> heavily with carbon (rings aren't what they should be after 350,000km).
> Would a bypass filter remove this contamination and if not what would be
the
> result continued buildup of the carbon with prolonged oil usage?
** Unfortunately you can not turn the clock back and the wear that exists is
the major cause of the smoke although injectors may be and proably are a
contributary factor. While a by-pass filter would double the life of the
engine remaining it would not in my opinion be a wise investment as with a
vehicle like this that is almost almost 20 years old it probably will not
last that much longer. (probably 2 or 3 years at the most without major
expebditure). While I could and would like to sell you a filter and it would
remove almost all of the carbon in the oil it will not stop the oil getting
past the rings into the combustion chamber which is probably causing the
exhaust smoke. The only way you really know is when you know exactly how
much oil the engine uses. If it uses virtually none or very little then get
back in touch with me by all means. In my opinion you would be better to
invest the money you would spend on a filter into a new vehicle and then
instal a filter in this.
Sorry if I sound pessimistic but I dont want to rip you off or be any
impediment to your investing in a better vehicle. There are vehicles that
should be off the road or are candidates  for an engine replant and I expect
your vehicles is rapidly heading that way.
B.r.,  David

> Thanks,
> Paul.

Biofuel at Journey to Forever: