Jon,

Do you seriously believe that Adobe will change its plans and modify
the course of Flash/Flex to please one or two companies with no
impact on Adobe's business?

Come on Jon, among all people you should know how Adobe misslead
everybody in the SVG community during the past few years. Giving
people hope that Adobe can still be helpful is only helping killing
SVG at this point. And I know this is not what you want.

Marc

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jon Ferraiolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Margie,
> Thanks for the kind words. In terms of possible next steps, I
suggest
> finding a way to express your point of view (professionally, of
course)
> within a blog or a forum that Adobe would read. (I don't know the
degree to
> which Adobe monitors this forum and I am not sure what other
industry
> forums they read these days.) An important thing would be to give
detailed
> information about the business impact that you face. Adobe is
likely to be
> more receptive if a company speaks up and talks about any specific
> difficulties that they will face and what Adobe could do about
relieving
> those difficulties. Adobe is less likely to listen to people who
simply get
> up on their soapbox. (I already did that.)
>
> Jon
>
> Jon Ferraiolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Web Architect, Emerging Technologies
> IBM, Menlo Park, CA
> Mobile: +1-650-464-7817
>

>              "Marjorie

Roswell"

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
>              om>                       svg-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>              Sent
by:                                                   cc
>              svg-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>              hoogroups.com
Subject
>                                        Re: [svg-developers]
Re:
>                                        Announcement: Adobe to
Discontinue
>              09/07/2006 05:03          Adobe SVG
Viewer

AM

>              Please respond
>              svg-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

hoogroups.com

> Jon,
>
> That was beautifully written. Thank you for your work and advocacy
in the
> SVG community. What's the next step for our community to take,
regarding
> items 3, 4, and 5?
>
> Margie
>

> On 9/6/06, jon_ferraiolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   Hi Pat,
> > Now that I am a member of the community and no longer an
employee of
> > Adobe, here is my reaction:
> >
> > (1) First off, I believe that Adobe deserves a great amount of
> > appreciation for their contributions to SVG and the open
standards
> > world for their activities in previous years. Adobe provided a
> > high-quality free implementation of an SVG viewer at large
expense.
> > (Pat, you know this perhaps better than anyone.) Adobe also has
> > provided (and presumably will continue to provide) excellent
support
> > for SVG in some of its products, particularly Illustrator. Adobe
has
> > also made large contributions within the standards community on
SVG.

> > (2) It is understandable that at some point Adobe would announce
the
> > end-of-life for Adobe SVG Viewer. Since the Macromedia
acquisition (at
> > least, perhaps even earlier), it is clear that Adobe doesn't
consider
> > the SVG viewer to be strategic. Also, browsers are adding SVG
support
> > natively.
> >
> > (3) HOWEVER, I believe that some of the details regarding this
> > end-of-life announcement are unacceptable to the community and
not in
> > Adobe's own best interests. To me, it is OK to stop "support"
> > (presumably developer support and security fixes) on Adobe SVG
Viewer
> > in the relative near-term, but instead of giving four months of
> > advanced notice (i.e., 1/1/07), it should be something measured
in
> > years, something in the range of 2-4 years. (Note: 5 years is the
> > usual amount for developer-oriented software.)
> >
> > (4) It reflects badly on Adobe that it did not donate the ASV
source
> > code (at least the higher-level logic that sits above the
graphics
> > rendering engine) to open soure. If Adobe isn't going to use
ASV, then
> > it should give it to the community so they can use it. Given how
Adobe
> > promoted industry adoption of ASV in the early days and thereby
> > convinced many developers to build mission-critical applications
using
> > SVG, it is the least that Adobe could do.
> >
> > (5) But the worst part of this announcement is the removal of ASV
> > downloads as of 1/1/08, with no option for others to host a
different
> > ASV download site. As others have pointed out, this will be
> > devastating to those poor souls who made a commitment to ASV in
the
> > past and need their deployed SVG applications to continue
working in
> > IE, which today has something like 80% market share and is
unlikely to
> > support SVG natively before a couple of years go by. This
particular
> > decision reflects badly on Adobe as a business partner with
> > developers. If nothing else, I appeal to Adobe to rethink this
part of
> > their decision. How much does it cost a company to maintain a
single
> > web page that is already working? If ASV quits working in some
> > situations, such as ASV not running under Vista, then just add
text to
> > the download page alerting people that ASV has been EOL'd and is
known
> > not to work with Vista. (But the better approach would be to open
> > source ASV so that the community can fix any such bugs.)
> >
> > Jon Ferraiolo
> > IBM
> >
> > > Adobe has decided to discontinue support for Adobe SVG Viewer.
There

> > > are a number of other third-party SVG viewer implementations
in the
> > > marketplace, including native support for SVG in many Web
browsers.
> > > The SVG language and its adoption in the marketplace have both
matured
> > > to the point where it is no longer necessary for Adobe to
provide an
> > > SVG viewer.
> > >
> > > SVG is an established vector image format. Adobe currently
supports
> > > SVG in several of its authoring and server products, including
> > > Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, Version Cue, Graphics Server,
> > > FrameMaker, and FrameMaker Server.
> > >
> > > Adobe customer support for Adobe SVG Viewer will be
discontinued on
> > > January 1, 2007.
> > >
> > > For more information on this decision and answers to questions
about
> > > the discontinuation of Adobe SVG Viewer, please see
> >
> > > http://www.adobe.com/svg
> >
> >    Messages in this topic
> > <
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-
developers/message/56704;_ylc=X3oDMTM2cGwwcGptBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycEl
kAzEyOTg0MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAxMDMwMzg5BG1zZ0lkAzU2NzIzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xr
A3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzU4OTQ0MgR0cGNJZAM1NjcwNA--
> >(
> > 12)  Reply (via web post)
> > <
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-
developers/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMXB1ZjZzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTg0
MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAxMDMwMzg5BG1zZ0lkAzU2NzIzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc
3RpbWUDMTE1NzU4OTQ0Mg--?act=reply&messageNum=56723
> >| Start
> > a new topic
> > <
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-
developers/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaGJqa3IwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTg0
MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAxMDMwMzg5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzU4O
TQ0Mg--