Tim,

I'm not sure where this misconception arose, but Firefox does indeed
support compressed svg (.svgz) files.  You need to make sure your web
server properly supports directives though.  As per http://jwatt.org/
svg/authoring/#server-configuration, for Apache this means for the
 .svgz extension:

Hope this helps,
Jeff