The loss of CSS styling is not a big one for myself. I initially used
them a lot but am moving away gradually for several reasons.

The lack of some of the text features, markers and textpath hurts and
is certainly a problem when it comes to creating "maps on demand" or
other more complex graphics. All these features initially drew me to
SVG. I am sure, the smart guys at Adobe will find a way to convert
those incompatible higher level bits to lower level PDF equivalents,
if all the XSL-FO products, Batik, Apple Webkit, etc. can do it. It
certainly is a challenge to map all of SVGs features to PDF, but so
is it to map swf or any other format to PDF. For the long run I hope
that Adobe Mars will support all the static SVG features when it
targets the print world with Mars.

In the other Adobe project, "digital editions", where interactive E-
Books are the goal, the animation and scripting features of SVG would
certainly make sense for the long run. I can understand if things
develop over time and not all of SVG works from the start, but for
the long run it is my hope that Adobe will support more of SVG.

Otherwise its sort of like Macromedias claim to support SVGT in
FlashLite or Flex, but then they did it in such a crippled way that
it wasn't really usable, with the main goal to put that "we support
SVG" sticker on their product. If that is the plan it would be better
to tell potential customers in advance and not start fueling any
false hopes.

But as usual I am optimistic and will give it a try. I agree with you
Leonard, that for many projects, a SVG subset is already usable/
useful.

Andreas

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard
Rosenthol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/2/06, brucerindahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thanks for the info.  I was interested until I looked at the
specs on
> > your site.  I am currently using Batik to convert SVG to PDF and
> > thought Mars would be a far easier solution.
> >
>     Depending on what you are doing, and when/how you plan to
deliver
> your solution - it might be.  Though certainly it's not something
you
> could easily jump on today!
>

> > 1.  No CSS attrubutes in SVG.  While XML attributes are possible,
it
> > is just easier in some cases to use style attributes in SVG.  The
lack
> > of support in Mars will make this very difficult.
> >
>     We are simply following the SVG committee itself in the movement
> away from CSS to attributes - because attributes are more in line
with
> XML philosophy and can be MUCH more easily validated & schema'd.
>

> > 2.  No textPath support.  This is a killer for me.  PostScript
support
> > s this - why not Mars??
> >
>     PDF isn't Postscript.
>
>     PDF isn't a dynamic reflow format.
>
>     textPath requires a text layout engine and that isn't what PDF
is about.

> > 3.  No text-anchor support except "start".  Specifing the center
of a
> > piece of text and having it centered regardless of the length is
> > essential.
> >
>      See comment above about reflow and layout.
>

> > 4. No marker support. I use markers hundreds of times in a
display.

>      I suspect that the reason for this is similar to the above -
the
> need for dynamic content - but I don't know for certain.  I will,
> however, find out for you.
>

> > 5. No font selection. I can't even specify font-size="bold" ?
> >
>      Font selection is fully supported - in the same way that it is
> for PDF and Postscript.
>
>      What you are asking for is font "styling", which isn't a
concept
> in the PDF and Postscript world...thus it's not part of Mars.
>

> > 6. No filter support.
> >
>      See above comments about dynamic layout/view.
>

> > 7. color spaces.  This whole section confused me but it appears
you
> > can't use the standard RGB or HSV spaces and have to create Adobe
> > stardard binary files with lookup tables in separate directories
in
> > the archive.
> >
>      Sorry about the confusion here...You can, OF COURSE, use
standard
> RGB values for the colors using any of the standard SVG forms.
It's