--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Doug Schepers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bruce, what specific aspects of CSS do you normally use that would make
> its absence "very difficult"?  I'm assuming you use classes, rather
than
> selectors?  What use cases in SVG do you have that are solved by CSS,
> and is CSS as it stands adequate for those use cases or could it (or
> some other mechanism) be changed to suit them better?

Doug
First I am by no means an expert here so if you have suggestions let
me know!
I use CSS for symbology in SVG maps.  For example when I retrieve
highways and roads from the database the class attribute is the
typically the road type, i.e an interstate, arterial, down to local
street.  By specifying a class the same result from the database can
be displayed in different ways in two different applications - color,
dashed lines, etc.  If I hard code this in the database interface with
attributes don't I have to account for each display I want?  Would the
performance suffer if I searched through the DOM and set the display
attributes based on another attribute?
Controlling text is also another place I use CSS.  Different fonts and
styles are use using classes.  If I need to adjust the font size for
many locations I just change the style.
The GUI's on Carto.net also use sytles.  All of the various GUI's can
be changed at once by linking to a different script specifying
different styles.
Just some ideas - Is there a better way?
Thanks
Bruce