  From: julie gautier
  To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:25 AM
  Subject: Re : [svg-developers] Stroke width inside the shape

  That's exactly what I'm trying to do (a map with adjacent regions)...
  Thanks for the hint, I'm going to look at the <superPath>.
  Julie

  ________________________________
  De : ddailey <ddai...@zoominternet.net>
  À : svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
  Envoyé le : Jeudi, 11 Décembre 2008, 3h47mn 56s

  The only way that I can think of would be to create an identical object that
would be centered at the same locus, but a wee bit bigger (like scaled by
1+strokewidth/ object'sDiameter ) and have this object filled with none. That
object could then be used to mask the original object keeping the original's
stroke inside the intended perimeter. One could write a script to do that, but
if the regions contained concavities, then this wouldn't work so well.

  It strikes me that the use case for what you're talking about would include
when someone wants to draw a map of adjacent regions, and wants the stroke to
have differing colors, but does not want the strokes to bleed out or overlap
one another. That is, it seems like the situation you're describing might occur
fairly often, but I can't see an easy way to do it currently. The <superPath>
may be just the idea, since it is intended to allow the concept of adjacency of
regions to be formalized at the level of SVG, but it's only an idea at present.
Maybe someone else has another idea?

  cheers
  David