Apologies if this message appears here more than once -- I have had some
trouble with some of my postings to this group recently
-----------------

I saw Frank's suggestion (below) and thought "yes of course!" How
straightforward.

So I thought I'd check it out to make sure it worked the way we'd
expect. Hmmm.... Bad news!

Look at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/halfstroke0.svg   (source
code included below).

Safari and Chrome seem to (sort of) do it correctly - though they differ
rather clearly in how they handle the anti-aliasing around the clipping
region.

Firefox (3.0.4) displays nothing.

Opera 9.61 closes itself immediately after opening the file.

IE/ASV 3.03 at first displays nothing, and then closes itself if the
reload button is pushed.

Pretty amazing behavior, I would posit. I couldn't believe it this
weekend when I tried it at home serving it locally, so I thought I'd try
it viewing from a different machine at the office and coming from a
server, but, sigh, same results.

David

------------------------halfstroke0.svg----------------
<svg       xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"; width="100%"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; >
<defs>
 <clipPath id="cp_poly1">
  <use xlink:href="#poly1"/>
 </clipPath>
</defs>
<path id="poly1" d="M 100 100 300 150 200 150 150 400 z"
clip-path="url(#cp_poly1)" stroke="blue" stroke-width="15px"/>
</svg>