Hi Jake,

I've played some with what I think is the same thing you've been trying to do
and haven't been completely satisfied with my results.

Take a look at the first cluster of links at
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/edges_of_plausibility.htm

In those I do something with animating the position of gradients within a stop.

Two older examples using script and dating from before Chaals McCathie Neville
had emerged from his pouch, can be seen here:
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/eggcloning3.svg. They ripple
gradients out from a center point deflecting content on top via feDisplacement
which I think is only implemented in IE/ASV and Opera so far. (Though Chrome
shows hints of starting to play with feDisplacement which is a good thing!)

The problem I seem to recall having was in getting the transitions between
waves to "match up", one of several boundary problems that I've bumped into
from time to time.

Hope this might help, and I'll be interested in whatever solutions you find.

cheers
David