Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > It would be fun if one could build all your gradient stops with one
  > instance and a single <replicate> tag [1,2], of course ;)

  Hmm. Maybe if I had the same animation, but started it at -1 -.8 -.6 etc
  it would work. Dunno if I can <use> a stop though...

I don't know if you can either, at least the code might have to be extended a
bit, I think, but there is the <replicateModifier> which allows things like
<animate>s to be retrieved and thence modified as the replicated object is
being cloned.

We've got examples that do this for modifying gradients, filters, animates, and
patterns dynamically. Filters and patterns are handy, since, for example, as
tiles of a floor, steps on a spiral stairway, decorative wallpaper, or railroad
tracks recede into the distance, the "grain" becomes denser, at least in 3-D.
When one starts cloning objects and rebuilding custom turbulence filters for
each is where the speed limitations of JavaScript start becoming quite
noticeable. This is to be expected since even animating turbulence filters has
been a persistent source of sluggishness for browsers.

Haven't tried applying it directly to <stop>s within a gradient, but seems like
it oughta work. The interpolation across multivalued color attributes of the
animate is where I expect our code might choke :)

David