I was pleased to find that this example [1], of simulated cylindrical
rotation, from [2] is now working in these browsers:
IE/ASV
Opera (9.5 or newer)
FF (4.0 b)
Safari (5.02)
and Chrome (6.0)

At the time of its creation just 2.5 years (and 0.5 dimensions) ago it only
worked in two of these five browsers.

Using filters and SMIL animation, it is only 52 lines and <1800 keystrokes
and at least 15 of the lines and 300 of those keystrokes are not really
needed for basic perceptual functionality!. As all who have used <animate>
or <replicate> can testify, productivity = 1/keystrokes.*

cheers
David

[1] http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/barberPole.svg
[2]
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/edges_of_plausibility.htm

*okay, maybe I'm exaggerating: there might be the rare fraction of folks who
would disagree, and such personality variation helps to keep the world
interesting.