I don't have the exact statistics in hand, but about 3 years ago a server with
~10K mailboxes was hit constantly with requests, few connections per second.

Sendmail at that time was known for heavy forking, so people used mainly
Postfix or Qmail as email front-end servers. I don't know how far Sendmail
is improved since then, but I guess it's still forking on every SMTP request.
Also in the old days, sendmail was re-reading its configuration after each fork.
I hope it's not the case now :)

In regards to 5 seconds vs. 30, I honestly don't know. Let's wait till Martin
reads these messages here :)

Even with 5 seconds delay, an average spam virus attack would blow the
server easily if it has to fork on every incoming request. With the new Windows
7
coming up, you never know how vulnerable it's going to be to viruses :)