On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 17:41, Tonnerre Lombard
<tonne...@bsdprojects.net> wrote:
> There are customers out there that don't care if Exchange is broken,
> unfortunately. We're living in a world where «broken» may mean «Find a

This was an issue with Exchange 2003, that has since then been fixed.

Microsoft recommended Exchange 2003 to be deployed with an Edge server
running another MTA to mitigate security risks. Many vendors have
sprung in an offered appliances to do this task, but simpler solutions
would be to deploy Postfix or another full-fledged MTA.

Basically, anyone that experiences this issue is running a
configuration that's not recommended by Microsoft and does not have
the proper hotfixes applied to make the not-recommended scenario work
correctly.

Exchange 2007/2010 have a much better SMTP implementation, one that
can actually talk to the Internet without messing up too much.

I have deployed that patch to all our customers running Exchange 2003.
Every other Exchange administrator should do the same.

--
Read my blog at http://projectdream.org