From: Ketan Padegaonkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [SWTBot-users] Important compatibility issue, mostly RCP related
To: swtbot-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 1:21 AM

On 17-Jul-08, at 3:31 AM, Hans Schwaebli wrote:

> I think there are more dependencies on Eclipse. For example SWTBot
> is no library (like log4j, junit etc.) but a set of Eclipse plugins.

SWTBot does not depend on any eclipse plugins other than
org.eclipse.ui (which is just swt/jface and other basic stuff) and
junit. As I've already mentioned the only plugin that has a dependency
on anything else is the plugin that contains the launcher
(net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui). To get around this, have you considered
using eclipse 3.4 for development and using a 3.2 target platform ?

> Concerning patches for making it compatible with Eclipse 3.2: This
> could be hard stuff. For example when you are using 3.3 classes from
> Eclipse, there would be compile errors on 3.2. But the biggest
> difficulty would be to backport the SWTBot test launcher plugin
> since there has been refactored a lot there and it requires writing
> Eclipse plugin knowledge, which I don't have.

Feel free to create a net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui-32 for eclipse 3.2, we
can have the two plugins live in the same eclipse instance, and have
the 3.2 load up if the eclipse version is 3.2 and 3.3 if the eclipse
version is 3.3/3.4!

> Do you know the commercial tools which can also test SWT/RCP, like
> Froglogic Squish and QFTest? Its hard to believe that they can only
> test it if the RCP is written for Eclipse X.X or higher. They must
> be compatible with at least Eclipse 3.x I think. Otherwise it would
> make no sense for the customers or for the companies, since they
> would have to maintain its tool for a variety of Eclipse/RCP
> versions. Bottom line is, that I think that they have an intelligent
> solution for the compatibility problem. No spine shivers, but
> solutions. Maybe its another solution, but there must be soltions
> others than patching SWTBot I believe.

I'm not sure what the commercial vendors do, I'm sure they'll be
more
than happy to provide commercial support.

> I asked in the Sun forum about a solution, they provided some. At
> least one will work good I think. I will check that.
>
> By the way, does your team test RCP applications with SWTBot?

Yes, we do.

-- Ketan